The Parish of San Jerónimo el Real, part of the old monastery of the same name, was one of the most important in Madrid, very closely linked to life on the Court and to the Spanish monarchy.
It was built during the years 1503 to 1505 in late Gothic style with Renaissance influences. The cloister, which is now part of the Prado Museum, is inside the Moneo Cube (red brick building you see in the picture to the right of the parish), was built in 1612.
During the Napoleonic invasion of 1808, this monastery was severely damaged, and a few years later, Elizabeth II ordered the restoration of the church.
Earlier this Century, there was an agreement to give the cloister of San Jerónimo, to the Prado Museum, and thus the church was thoroughly restored, both inside and outside. During this restoration, sixteenth century murals and reliefs Renaissance appeared, restored and placed in the church, as seen on the photograph below.Tags:andando, caminando, churches, españa, europa tower, foto, mahou tower, fotos, tree of love, europa tower, paseos turísticos, paseos turísticos, spanish churches, travel, turismo, turismo, viajes, viajes, walking tours