Close to 100 meters west of the Fountain of Neptune, we would be in front of the building of the Palace of the Parliament, and Congress of Deputies of Spain, which is in the Plaza de las Cortes.
This building, is where one of the two chambers of Parliament meet, that is the lower chamber where the Spanish Congress of Deputies is held. The upper chamber or Senate, is on another building, close to the Royal Palace, and Plaza España.
As you can see from the pictures, it is a neoclassical building, from the nineteenth century.
At this same location, the Convent of the Holy Spirit was located. This convent suffered a serious damage in a fire in 1823. Later in 1834, the government of the time, decided to provisionally hold the meetings of government in the convent church, which still remained on that time.
Thereafter, meetings of deputies were held in the ballroom of the Royal Theatre, until it was decided to start a new building, which opened on October 31, 1850, by Isabel II, at this location, where the Palacio de las Cortes is today.
In 1980, an extension to the original building, was done, which can be seen in the photo above, as the modern part of this building, which which is joined to the original building, by an elevated walkway crossing Floridablanca street.
The modern part is built on the same grounds, as many years ago, between 1598 and 1885, there was the Hospital of San Pedro of the Italians.
In this Palace of Parliament, there has been many prominent political events, however perhaps the best remembered, was the attempted coup on February 23, 1981.
From here we continue our walking tour following Carrera de San Jerónimo, to Puerta del Sol, close to 500 meters away from the Palace of the Parliament.Tags:spanish congress