After nearly a century of changes in the Plaza Santo Domingo, in February 2006 the demolition work began to convert the old car park, into a quiet pedestrian square. Photos of the refurbishment, click here.
From the thirteenth century, until 1836, there was a Dominican convent, founded by Saint Domingo de Guzman.
Since those times, there was a flower market on this plaza, until 1959, year when the building of the parking lot, that occupied most of the square, started.
In 2006, the demolition of the Parking of Santo Domingo begun, to convert the square in what we have now, as shown in the photo above.
Below you can see the square, as it was when the Parking of Santo Domingo was still going. This was the first underground car park in Spain
This area along with nearby Preciados street, which is also closed to vehicular traffic, all the way to Puerta del Sol, 400 meters away, has allowed bars and restaurants to open up terraces, creating a good deal of places to eat and drink, in a very nice atmosphere.Tags:parking, plaza santo domingo, terrace bars, terraces, travel, walking tours