The “Plaza de Toros de Las Ventas” is the largest bullring in Spain, and the third in the world, with a total capacity of 23,798 persons. Bull rings in Mexico, and Valencia, Venezuela, are the largest ones.
It is located in calle Alcalá, 237, on the neighborhood called Salamanca, next to the M30 which is the first ring road, of Madrid.
Las Ventas, is considered by many professionals, enthusiasts and critics, as the most important bullring in the world, followed by “La Maestranza” in Sevilla.
Construction was completed in 1929, and first opened on June 17, 1931, with the name of Las Ventas of the Holy Spirit. Las Ventas was designed by architect José Espeliú, in a Mudejar style of brick on a metal structure. The décor, by Manuel Muñoz Monasterio, was based in ceramic tile, with the emblems of all Spanish provinces, and other ornamental motifs.
Plaza de Toros de Las Ventas (Madrid)
The ring measures 61.5 meters in diameter, and the the alley is 2.2 meters wide. The prices vary depending on whether localities are in the sun, being cheaper that the shaded area and their proximity to the ring.